Series: Getting To Know Our Missionaries
This week’s featured missionary: Brook Seekins
We asked all of our missionaries 10 questions that we think will help us all get to know them better, which in turn helps us know better how to pray for and support them. Brook shares with you, her answers below. We think you will really enjoy getting to know Brook this week! Enjoy reading a little about her history with GMI first.
Who: Brook Seekins
Where: Mumba, Tanzania (near the city of Sumbawanga Southwest Tanzania)
When: I’ve lived in Tanzania since 9/12/2001
What: Mshauri wa Idara ya Vijana (Advisor to the Youth Department). There are about 70 Grace churches in Tanzania. Most of the members of our churches are Youth. (That is partially because ‘youth’ means anyone from the age of 13 – 35.) I work with a team of Tanzanian pastors and elders to guide the Youth of these churches. Our Goal is to raise the Youth up to become godly leaders for the church.
How: We are helping the churches learn how to have healthy Youth programs. We are encouraging the Youth to Grow spiritually through Camps, Seminars, and Conferences. We are training Teachers for each church youth group. We are training camp counselors. We are encouraging abstinence programs. We are attending weddings to show how proud we are of the Youth that follow through with God’s plan for marriage.
Now here are Brook’s answers to our “get to know you” questions:
- What most excites you about your field and ministry?
- Seeing fruit in the Youth
- What is the most difficult about your field and ministry?
- How slow people are to grasp the truth and put it into practice.
- When leaders you’ve trained for years, fall.
- Name 3 things God has taught you as a missionary.
- Be patient
- Keep my gaze on God and not on my problems
- How God can do way more than we can ask or imagine
- What did God use to call you into missions?
- A short term trip to Russia
- If you could share anything with someone considering missions what would it be?
- Come to serve the Lord, not to serve a people or fix a problem. Come because the Lord has guided you here, not because you see a need or because you love a place.
- In what ways have you seen God’s faithful provision?
- He has brought teams to meet needs
- He has brought good, National Leaders to work with
- He has provided supporters back home
- What is a favorite thing about the country you serve in?
- The wonderful people, who smile and laugh.
- Who was one person that had a big influence in your decision to become a missionary?
- In what ways can others best encourage missionaries?
- Pray and let us know you are praying
- Respond to updates even if it is a simple word or two
- Ask intelligent questions when we communicate
- What is one of your favorite funny memories from the field?
- I am afraid of birds and my cat brought a live bird into my bedroom one Saturday morning. I hid under the covers for a long time, singing to myself so I wouldn’t hear the flapping and noise of the cat trying to catch it when it got away!
Visit GMI’s Website today at http://www.gracem.org to learn more about GMI, Brook Seekins, and other ministryies aroundt he world.
Brook Seekins also has a wonderful blog that she updates regularly with wonderful pictures, stories, and reports. You can find that blog at http://www.yieldtogod.blogspot.com/